NWFC Seeks Applicants for Lead Foil Coach
Founded in 1972, the Northwest Fencing Center pioneered the Olympic sport of fencing in Oregon. Today, we are a cutting-edge international training and competition center. Trailblazers of Oregon fencing, NWFC provides high-quality, personalized instruction to recreational and competitive athletes of all ages. Beyond training, athletes participate in club, regional, national, and international competitions. NWFC is enhanced by a dedicated group of parent volunteers, and enjoys cohesive camaraderie among teammates. A registered 501(c)3 not-for-profit, NWFC also offers grants, scholarships, and reduced-pricing programs to make our programs as economically accessible as possible.
NWFC’s facilities include 22 grounded strips, weight and conditioning room, visitors’ loft, meeting rooms, armory, offices, and pro shop. Learn more about our history, facilities, and programs at www.nwfencing.org. Take a look at NWFC in action: Video Tour
Lead Foil Coach is responsible for giving fencing-specific instruction, providing a safe and fun learning environment, and serving as a positive role model for fencers of all ages.
We are seeking a motivated coach who believes deeply in NWFC’s mission and who displays a record of achievement in effective supervision and management of youth, teaching fencing skills and techniques, building positive relationships, and ensuring safety.
Essential Job Responsibilities
• Develop and implement training program for Competitive level foil fencers. This includes planning the season; planning and delivering class content; giving private lessons (not exclusive to Competitive foil fencers); conduct fencer evaluations; support fencers as they explore post-high school fencing plans; and create, lead, and participate in team building opportunities.
• Mentor the Youth 2 foil coach and fencers. Build relationships that will encourage growth into the Competitive program.
• Lead the design and implementation of foil camps. Collaborate with other coaches on combined foil and epee camps.
• Provide strip-side coaching during competitions designated by the Head Coach.
• Collaborate with all coaches to ensure successful program delivery across all weapons and all programs.
• Assist in planning and running tournaments hosted by NWFC.
• Build respectful relationships and professional, friendly rapport with fencer parents and NWFC members.
• Work with NWFC’s administrative staff to maintain fencer and program records.
• Work with NWFC’s coaches, administrative staff, and board to promote NWFC to target audiences and maintain the club’s professional reputation in all aspects of communication.
• Ability to work as part of a team. This will include a willingness to share in the coaching workload and a willingness to share training and method plans, willingness to acknowledge the successes of others and share in recognition of fencer and club successes, and integrate guest coaches who visit the club for camps or training.
• Possess a high level of technical fencing skill and ability to use a progressive step-by-step approach to teaching technical skills.
• Demonstrate a positive attitude and a love for fencing that generates enthusiasm among fencers and club members.
• Availability to travel outside Portland for competitions and training.
• International coaching experience a plus.
• Must be USA Fencing Safe Sport certified upon employment at NWFC.
Experience & Certification Requirements
• Certification must be issued by an FIE recognized organization (USFCA, FFE, FIS).
• Prevot may be considered but Fencing Master is preferred.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
Other Skill Requirements
Strong oral and written communication skills recommended.
Reports to and takes direction from Head Coach. May also take direction from and is overall accountable to the Executive Director.
• Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
• Benefit Package includes: Personal Time Off (Flex Time), Holiday Pay, Vacation, Bonus Program, Simple IRA with Company Contribution, Health Insurance.
Applications should include resume, cover letter with salary requirements and list of four professional references. More information at nwfencing.org. All applications and any questions must be submitted, in English, to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Review of applicants will begin immediately and continue until position is filled.